July 19, 2018
Choosing the right photographer to document your wedding day is a HUGE decision. You need someone you trust and can vibe with so it doesn’t feel like you have a stranger following you around all day. I’ve broken it down into 5 easy steps you can follow to find the PERFECT photographer for your wedding!
- Decide on your budget
- Now, this may seem like a really obvious and simple first step, but it is sooooo important. Photographers out there in the world can range from $500 to $10,000 or more! You need to know where you fit into that range. With that being said, photography should be one of the highest priorities on your list of things to spend the big bucks on. When your wedding day is over you get to take home a white dress, leftover cake, and your photographs. Your photographer is going to provide you with tangible memories of your day you share with your children and grandchildren.
- *BONUS TIP* I love to say “You get what you pay for” when my fiance gets grumpy that I bought another Kate Spade purse. I know Kate Spade is a quality brand, so I pay for it. If I pay $20 for a purse, then I’m only going to get $20 worth of quality. Same rules apply here. If you pay $500 for your photographer, don’t expect $10,000 quality.
- Decide what style of Photography you like
- This step is really important to having images you LOVE! There are so many styles of photography out there. I’m gonna do a quick breakdown so you know what’s what. We’ll break it down into 2 main sections: Shooting style and Editing style.
- Shooting Style: This is by no means an extensive list. These are the need-to-know’s that most other styles of shooting are based off.
- Traditional: This is basically how it sounds. Bride and Groom smiling at the camera, everyone is posed, you know the kind. Everyone definitely needs some traditional style portraits from their wedding, but you have to decide if you want ALL of your pictures to be traditional style.
- Editorial: (This one is my favorite!) This style basically means the photographer steps back and captures the day unfolding-but will step in to adjust things like fluffing your hair or fixing your dress and give you natural looking poses to make it look like your day was a fairy tale and belongs in a magazine!
- Photojournalistic/Documentary: This is more along the lines of candid style photography. This photographer will basically be a fly on the wall. They want to tell the story of your day without changing any aspect of it.
- Editing Style: Again, not an extensive list, but most styles will fall under these 3 categories.
- Dark and Moody: You totally know what I’m talking about. It feels really dramatic with deep, rich colors and tones.
- Light and Airy: Soft, Romantic, Creamy, Dreamy-the list goes on to describe this style! It makes everything look like it’s out of a magazine.
- Naturally Vibrant: This sticks to all the natural colors and tones of a photo, just makes them pop a little more.
- Take some time and look through different styles and see what really stands out to you and what you imagine hanging on your walls one day.
- Find Photographers in your budget that fit your style
- Now that you know what your budget is and what style of photography you like, start looking for some photographers! Look everywhere: Pinterest, Instagram, Google, The Knot, Wedding Wire. Find the ones you like and REACH OUT TO THEM! Many photographers don’t list their prices on their website because they want to connect with you personally! They want to be able to explain what they offer, and sometimes they will be willing to work with your budget! But you won’t get any of this information if you overlook photographers without their prices listed. And pro-tip: maybe you found a photographer you really like on Instagram, but they don’t live in your area. Ask them about their travel fees! Just make sure you have enough room in your budget.
- Narrow it down
- Now that you’ve found some photographers you like, it’s time to narrow it down to the PERFECT one for you. You can set up meetings over coffee, or Skype them if they are further away. You definitely want to meet them to get to know them a little better, understand their personality and make sure y’all vibe together! You want to make sure you will feel comfortable with them there on your wedding day! Be honest with them about what you are looking for. They want you to find the right photographer as much as you do!
- Yay celebrate!
- YAY! You’ve chosen the perfect person to document the best day of your life!! That’s something to celebrate! You’re one step closer to having the perfect wedding day, and I’m so happy for you!
If you have any questions, please ask! I would love to help you find your perfect wedding photographer!